New Turbo & Actuator, 3 miles down , new camshaft??
12-26-2019, (Subject: New Turbo & Actuator, 3 miles down , new camshaft?? ) 
RE: New Turbo & Actuator, 3 miles down , new camshaft??
(12-26-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  The procedure to do the cam is on https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html It's completely free. Use your Engine serial number (ESN) and sign up. The feeler gauges and torque wrench and sockets can be had at any auto parts store or place that sells tools. The 3/4" ratchet to bar the engine over to run the overhead can be a hard find in a pinch. But most harbor freight or chinesium tool sales place has a cheapo ratchet for sale. Compression is high on these engines so barring them over with something small is not gonna happen. You'll need a pipe to get leverage to bar it over. Coolant pressure tester kits can be had at most auto parts stores.

As far as checking the bottom end (must be done 1st to find out if it's worth it to do the cam) and possibly doing a cam in a parking lot in the middle of winter, well, old school or not, you're taking on a tall task. You'll need a heat source (torpedo heater) or something of the sort and some kind of make shift wind stop to keep dust out and to hold some of the heat in. Oil is gonna be thick your gonna need to get it some what warm to get it out and pour the new stuff in. Your hands are gonna need to be warm enough so you dont bang and drop the new cam in to the bearings when installing it and also to run the overhead.

You'll need probably a minimum of a 2nd person to help you get the hood off and radiator out. If you absolutely don't have a 2nd hand and your truck is made right, some of them you can undo the hood catches, them flip the hood as far forward as it will let you and rest it on a trash can or something of the sort. Then you can begin disassembling the front structure and pulling the CAC, roll the AC condenser out of the way and pull the radiator out piece by piece. I've done a lot of work by my lonesome so it all can be done. It's just super hard and really dangerous when you're frozen. You can f$ck yourself up real quick pulling a muscle or falling or pinching something important when you're cold. Then its game over and possibly end of a career. Just keep that in mind if you're feeling froggy about this.

Working outside in the cold you're definitely gonna be taking up 2 full days start to finish. A battery powered impact and a couple of extra batteries and charger will help with disassembly. The cold kills the batteries quick so you'll need to charge them a lot. Everything will be a pain in the ass and no joke, take 3 time longer than you think. If I lived any where close to Missouri I'd offer to help. Unfortunately for you I'm on the east coast for the week.
All Points you said are good I have torpedoed heaters a small generator to charge batteries for the battery operated impact wrenches and I have a helper to go with me I know that it's going to be very difficult the truck is a 2010 Peterbilt 386
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Turbo & Actuator, 3 miles down , new camshaft?? - bookerjt - 12-26-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.