Did my new turbo take a dump?
07-11-2016, (Subject: Did my new turbo take a dump? ) 
RE: Did my new turbo take a dump?
This explanation makes total sense to me and I totally agree . I didn't putt under consideration the slobbering effect under slightly negative pressure.
Thank you, and I appreciate the feedback!
replyreply
07-11-2016, (Subject: Did my new turbo take a dump? ) 
(07-11-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  This explanation makes total sense to me and I totally agree . I didn't putt under consideration the slobbering effect under slightly negative pressure.
Thank you, and I appreciate the feedback!

Slobbering was the exact term Rawze used... I was totally relieved when he explained all of this to me and my truck passed the test... I am at my wits end with this thing... I would not wish this crap on my ex wife. And I will leave it at that.
replyreply
07-12-2016, (Subject: Did my new turbo take a dump? ) 
With the high heat and over 100,000 RPM spinning speed that turbos have to endure, they are made without rubber O-rings that we find throughout the rest of the engine. They have steel-to-steel contact
./uploads/201607/post_2010_1468324554_abf81a49008133076c2fcb3f05a69074.jpg
Some Turbo Slobber is normal and to be expected. With good custom tuning Turbo Slobber can be minimized, the key is to tune the turbo for a slight positive output pressure at idle. There is a quiescent point as with all tuning, and the lower that the turbo output is at idle, the higher fuel economy can be achieved.
replyreply
07-16-2016, (Subject: Did my new turbo take a dump? ) 
Update: Well, got with Unilever, was trying to get to Rawze's place, that did not work out... Anyways, Unilever helped with the custom tuning, the truck is running and shifting like it never has. It is night and day in a very good way...

So, tune in place, I took her to the truck wash and had the oil mist washed off of my new motor and went to bed. Next morning at the truck stop, I pulled the intake and exhaust CAC lines off the motor, cleaned the oil up that the truck wash missed and inspected... There were a few ounces of oil found in the CAC, and in both lines going into and out of the CAC, that did not give me a good feeling as this was the second time I cleaned the oil out of these lines this week... I found a pinched o-ring on the turbo intake from the CAC, so I knew that needed to be replaced, so cleaned and reinstalled everything and off to Cummins for the part...

I bought the o-ring, ran by the dealer that did the in-frame than went to the house, took everything apart again on both sides from the CAC and found another ounce or two of oil pooling at the CAC on the turbo side. There was another ounce or so at the intake side of the CAC. I drove roughly 120 miles to produce this amount of oil... I don't think it would take me very long to use a gallon of oil at the rate it is "slobbering", even with this fresh tune...

When I was at the dealer, the manager said bring it in and they will install a new turbo under warranty. He said he has not had any luck with these slobbering turbos, they have all failed. So, after finding the amount of oil I did, in just 120 or so miles, and doing some simple math, that is quite a bit of slobbering going on.

What are your thought's on this? I think I need a new turbo... Just call me, Going Broke in Michigan.
replyreply
(07-16-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  ...

When I was at the dealer, the manager said bring it in and they will install a new turbo under warranty. He said he has not had any luck with these slobbering turbos, they have all failed. So, after finding the amount of oil I did, in just 120 or so miles, and doing some simple math, that is quite a bit of slobbering going on.

What are your thought's on this? I think I need a new turbo... Just call me, Going Broke in Michigan.

Thanks for calling Going Broke in Michigan, if the shop is offering to install a new turbo under warraty that sounds like a deal I would take. No cost output, and new (genuine reman) parts that eliminate a piece of your puzzle. If this solves the problem, there are no more questions, and my perception from conversations with Unilevers and every one on here's opinion of him, your tune is highly unlikely to be the problem.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
The tune is great, that is for sure... Just talked to the dealer, taking it in Tuesday... He wanted to know if I took pictures of the oil spray, I didn't, and I cleaned it out again, third time this week. He wanted to see the oil, don't know what to do, run it around and get some oil going or just take it up there Tuesday. Now I am worried about the turbo blowing or a run away situation. What a nightmare.
replyreply
One other thing... When I took the metal 90* elbow off at the turbo intake, I found the o ring was missing a good sized piece. This would explain how the oil escaped and misted on the turbo intake tube from the CAC... There was no way this o-ring was sealing properly. I went to Cummins Quickserve, and went to the Turbocharger - Compressor Seal Oil Leak section... In the diagnostic tree, #2 was this, "Boost leak or past boost leaks including hose "blow-offs" causing an oil leak, or slobber. Well, back to my o ring, if this can cause slobber, I may have solved my problem last night when I fixed this. Finger's crossed.

I also found that a clogged air filter will cause slobber, as well as a clogged or crushed turbo charger drain line. I will inspect these also. Learning allot here...
replyreply
(07-16-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  One other thing... When I took the metal 90* elbow off at the turbo intake, I found the o ring was missing a good sized piece. This would explain how the oil escaped and misted on the turbo intake tube from the CAC... There was no way this o-ring was sealing properly. I went to Cummins Quickserve, and went to the Turbocharger - Compressor Seal Oil Leak section... In the diagnostic tree, #2 was this, "Boost leak or past boost leaks including hose "blow-offs" causing an oil leak, or slobber. Well, back to my o ring, if this can cause slobber, I may have solved my problem last night when I fixed this. Finger's crossed.

I also found that a clogged air filter will cause slobber, as well as a clogged or crushed turbo charger drain line. I will inspect these also. Learning allot here...

Waterloo , I hate to brake it ! But this is beyond slobbering. Besides, everything else you wrote is correct. At the end it all comes to bad quality control. I don't trust no one . Every new thing have to pass my own QC . I know it sounds like overboard, but that's me . Here's a very few like me on this one and they will vouch for what I said. The reason is we hate to do it twice and pride stand before everything else .
replyreply
I still have my Tuesday appointment... Just got off the phone with the dealer, he still wants it in the shop...

In regards to slobber, how much is what one would call normal? I understand what it is now, just wondering what is acceptable, a fine misty coating, a few drops of oil? Never had this issue on any of my other trucks, and honestly don't know.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.