Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn
07-18-2021, (Subject: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn ) 
RE: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn
Overhead is pretty easy. If you're just double checking prior work you could leave the nuts alone and just rotate the engine to each position, then use the feeler gauges to check for anything too tight or too loose. It won't be a perfectly accurate measurement, but you'd just be looking for large discrepancies anyway. Though, if you're in there doing 95% of the work already then the other 5% to loosen and tighten/torque the nuts really wouldn't hurt.

The first time I did my overhead I went through and measured everything before setting them properly. I found large discrepancies that were consistent across all the valves. It seems the prior mechanic (who I paid to do the job about a year prior) probably used the wrong feeler gauge. The last time I did the overhead I didn't bother measuring first, I just loosened everything and reset them. Roughly the same amount of work, but done quicker.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
07-18-2021, (Subject: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn ) 
RE: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn
(07-18-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  t would be the easiest way to rotate the tank to pull out the pickup tube if need be?

The overhead was done by a shop since I don’t have experience doing it and honestly I don’t have an idea how good of a job they did.Should I take it to another shop and have it redone? Like Cummins,or the bigger dealerships.

do things like I said in the post above: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...1#pid66561

adjust the overhead and set the correct injector adjustment too .... this prepares it properly for performing the injector leak test so that you don't get any false positives. Then do the injector leak test like the video shows!!!! - you don't test those injectors for leakage .. your simply pissing in the wind and blind-man guessing it to death.

after that ...

FOLLOW WHAT I SAID ... and and rest of what I mentioned in that order and you will find it properly!.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND DO THIS STUFF YOURSELF!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
(07-18-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-18-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  t would be the easiest way to rotate the tank to pull out the pickup tube if need be?

The overhead was done by a shop since I don’t have experience doing it and honestly I don’t have an idea how good of a job they did.Should I take it to another shop and have it redone? Like Cummins,or the bigger dealerships.

do things like I said in the post above: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...1#pid66561

adjust the overhead and set the correct injector adjustment too .... this prepares it properly for performing the injector leak test so that you don't get any false positives. Then do the injector leak test like the video shows!!!! - you don't test those injectors for leakage .. your simply pissing in the wind and blind-man guessing it to death.

after that ...

FOLLOW WHAT I SAID ... and and rest of what I mentioned in that order and you will find it properly!.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND DO THIS STUFF YOURSELF!

I do everything else as far as maintenance just scared to f*ck something up.
replyreply
(07-18-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(07-18-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  
(07-18-2021 )JimT Wrote:  While this is outside my area of knowledge, I'd say the top of the pickup and fittings to the fuel line are probably a good place to start. Anywhere fuel could leak out is a point where air could get in. It's clear you have some sort of leak in that area so it's a good place to start.

Also, it would be prudent to check the overhead again. There's always a chance that a mistake last time could have caused the problem you currently face.

What would be the easiest way to rotate the tank to pull out the pickup tube if need be?

Rawze has a video on running the overhead, you only need a few tools, easily found on Amazon or most auto parts stores. Largest item is a bar/ratchet to turn over the motor with a short 3/4" extension, Harbor Freight most likely carries those or a NAPA store. The feelers, crows foot and torque wrenches are available at again, most auto parts stores. I use the inexpensive Tekton torque wrenches and a small newton meter boom to do the injectors, AutoZone sells that small boom torque wrench, same with the feeler gauges.

That fuel tank, best to have it empty, so hopefully there is not much fuel in it, or you probably not even budge it. Just loosen the tank straps, watch the fuel lines and other connections and rotate. You may have to do some line disconnection, but as long as the tank is empty, it is pretty straight forward.

Do you have a particular feeler gauge you use? I’m looking on Amazon and can’t find one that has the measurements needed?
replyreply
(07-18-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  Do you have a particular feeler gauge you use? I’m looking on Amazon and can’t find one that has the measurements needed?

I went to AutoZone and bought one of their sets that had the proper gauge for each step, I found it in one set. Then I removed those particular gauges and put long zip ties on them for easy removal if I dropped them in the head. The large 7mm gauge I bought the Cummins one, but here is one for much less, https://amzn.to/3z2SA42

Here is the fuel injector torque wrench, I bought mine at AutoZone for around $12 https://amzn.to/3ez6zH4

For the valves/exhaust, I use the foot lb and inch lb, both set to the proper torque... https://amzn.to/3imttCn

https://amzn.to/3ezA6QG
And a crows foot adapter... I think you need a 19mm, it is in the video... https://amzn.to/3in0vCy

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Thank you.The biggest issue with the feeler gauges I’m looking at is that they don’t have 0.027 only 0.026 or 0.028.Will those work?
replyreply
(07-18-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  Thank you.The biggest issue with the feeler gauges I’m looking at is that they don’t have 0.027 only 0.026 or 0.028.Will those work?

Some variance is allowed, so if that is all you got, yes. Or, just double up two gauges to equal the desired gauge. Like I said, I found the correct feelers in one set at AutoZone off the shelf. But, doubling up is fine, it's a diesel, not a Rolex. And I would remove the gauges from the pack, pull them out of the pack and just use them individually with the zip tie trough the screw hole.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(07-18-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  Some variance is allowed, so if that is all you got, yes. Or, just double up two gauges to equal the desired gauge. Like I said, I found the correct feelers in one set at AutoZone off the shelf. But, doubling up is fine, it's a diesel, not a Rolex. And I would remove the gauges from the pack, pull them out of the pack and just use them individually with the zip tie trough the screw hole.

Thanks man.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
The overhead is really easy to do, it is one of those see one, do one, teach one deals. And if you screw up, you will more than likely hear it when you start the motor, just go back in and redo it... Take your time, try not to get distracted and watch Rawze's video a few times to get the gist of it. And I would print off the instructions from Quickserve, I keep a set in my toolbox where I keep all of my overhead stuff.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.