2250 ECM with 2350 engine
06-20-2022, (Subject: 2250 ECM with 2350 engine ) 
2250 ECM with 2350 engine
Im an independent repair shop in a small town, Bennettsville, South Carolina. Im currenlty helping a customer swap an engine and after some research the best option we could find was a 2350 engine, nothing else was available or reasonably priced. Currenlty both engines are on the floor and Im swapping harnesses, ecm, resealing rear structure and rear main, checking 2350 fuel pump for issues etc. I know it will need tuned, I have CT and insite, but can't do the tuning myself. Anything else I should consider or do while engine is out? Thanks for any help
replyreply
06-20-2022, (Subject: 2250 ECM with 2350 engine ) 
RE: 2250 ECM with 2350 engine
(06-20-2022 )PALMETTODD Wrote:  Im an independent repair shop in a small town, Bennettsville, South Carolina. Im currenlty helping a customer swap an engine and after some research the best option we could find was a 2350 engine, nothing else was available or reasonably priced. Currenlty both engines are on the floor and Im swapping harnesses, ecm, resealing rear structure and rear main, checking 2350 fuel pump for issues etc. I know it will need tuned, I have CT and insite, but can't do the tuning myself. Anything else I should consider or do while engine is out? Thanks for any help

NOTE:
A truck that is supposed to have a CM2250 engine, where someone swaps out the engine to a CM2350 ... is against EPA regs. They are 2 completely different emissions/year standards. Just letting you know as an FYI that it is just as illegal to install a CM2350 engine into a CM2250 truck as a delete, unless you install ALL of the 2350's emissions systems+exhaust cans onto that truck as well + then register it as a 'Glider'. For some people, a delete, or driving around in a ruck that will no longer pass an emissions inspection, it could be a big problem.

Otherwise, I can only assume otherwise that the engine/truck is 'de-mandated'. Personally, I don't care either way, I am just letting you know as a repair shop, that is it just as illegal as a delete ... and that customer of yours needs to be fully aware of it as such too.

Otherwise ...

-- What need to happen to get a CM2350 engine into a truck that originally had a CM2250 engine, is to ...

* (for most people) would be to ensure that the cans are properly de-mandated/hollowed out, etc. ALL of the the exhaust cans, including the SCR element, etc. under the truck (or straight-piping it).

* The CM2350 VG turbo that belongs to that 2350 tier engine needs to be used, and not the older CM2250 turbo.

* Remove the CM2350 engine ecm and wiring harness. Then re-use the existing CM2250 ecm and wiring harness, adapting it to the CM22350 engine. I think there is a pressure rail sensor or a couple other things that need replacing/adapting, but it is fairly simple. The CM2250 ecm will run that CM2350 engine no problems with proper programing installed into it.

* All of the new injector trim codes from the CM2350 engine need to be manually put into the 2250ecm using the Insite software.

* The CM2250 program needs to be copied out of the ecm and e-mailed to me so that it can be converted to run a CM2350 engine properly. Otherwise the engine will have a shortened lifespan and also have fuel mileage/ efficiency losses.

If the CM2250 already has a de-mandate program in it, then the factory programming + all truck settings will have to be restored as well via this method: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...1#pid66301

* I will also need the engine ser# for the CM2250 that came out of it and the ser# for the CM2350 engine that is going back in.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PALMETTODD
06-24-2022, (Subject: 2250 ECM with 2350 engine ) 
I was sent the file out of the CM2250 ecm. Looks like he is another one to join the bad delete club...

This one, someone used the 'Africa" overlay on it.. which in itself is not bad if they had left it alone ... but then they proceeded to completely butcher the injection timing, power and a lot of other things into utter oblivion.

* Injection timing is sitting at +10.5 BTDC at high hp output levels and this will certainly cause fuel impingement issues, accelerated valve-seat wear, and eventually a dropped liner vs. the power levels being requested. A CM2250 does well to handle only about +4BTDC.. and even then, it eventually gets impingement issues. - Someone is really pushing their luck with that high injection timing there and apparently has no clue how much harm those numbers can do.

Speaking of power.. it looks like a 5-th grader made this engine torque curve... Someone clearly did not know WHAT the h#ell they were doing. Here is the rather uigly and ignorant bad tune power curve from some complete fool who obviously had no idea how this engine is supposed to be programmed!...

./uploads/202206/post_2_1656129393_337ed713b559d323e1f363ee055091ab.png
(this flywheel power/torque curve is just butchered to all h#ell!).
(right click and choose "View Image" for a larger view.)

Well. at least now, we know for sure that the program is no good.

back to stock programming it needs to go.. and then be rebuilt from there... even before it gets converted to run a CM2350.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PALMETTODD
07-06-2022, (Subject: 2250 ECM with 2350 engine ) 
After a clean updated calibration was downloaded to the ecm per the instructions, Rawze worked his magic. No faults, about 31-32 lbs boost at full pull and no complaints from me or the customer. Customer said he had it tuned to 550 hp, but didn't know any thing else. EGR was fully intact, and DPF had o few holes drilled in it. SCR was fully intact. Ticking time bomb...onto the next problem.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , tree98

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.