Motor starts then dies
01-05-2024, (Subject: Motor starts then dies ) 
RE: Motor starts then dies
I've seen (mostly heard) about turbos sticking closed and then the engine won't start. Sometimes it is the actuator and sometimes it is the turbo.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Matthirsch111
(01-05-2024 )MommaBurt Wrote:  I've seen (mostly heard) about turbos sticking closed and then the engine won't start. Sometimes it is the actuator and sometimes it is the turbo.
I thought and posted this initially, but usually will run fine all day if it starts. Seems like he's got something going on causing him to lose prime.
replyreply
(01-05-2024 )MommaBurt Wrote:  I've seen (mostly heard) about turbos sticking closed and then the engine won't start. Sometimes it is the actuator and sometimes it is the turbo.

I’ve seen this also, usually there is a very dirty egr system or bad injectors right before this happens.

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
01-07-2024, (Subject: Motor starts then dies ) 

This was my second guess, and a friend of mine brought his computer over and the problem is the actuator, they got it running enough to get to the shop, they are looking at it.... he thinks it's fixed, but i am probably going to have him throw a new actuator on it anyway.

The truck once it starts runs great all day, boost looks normal under acceleration, and with the jake on.... Figure replace actuator to make sure I don't have that problem out on the road. Luckily, the only time it has done this is when I am at home getting ready to head out....
replyreply
01-07-2024, (Subject: Motor starts then dies ) 
(01-05-2024 )PolishHammer Wrote:  Is the electric lift pump working can you hear it with a key cycle?

Yes
replyreply
01-08-2024, (Subject: Motor starts then dies ) 
(01-07-2024 )Matthirsch111 Wrote:  

This was my second guess, and a friend of mine brought his computer over and the problem is the actuator, they got it running enough to get to the shop, they are looking at it.... he thinks it's fixed, but i am probably going to have him throw a new actuator on it anyway.

The truck once it starts runs great all day, boost looks normal under acceleration, and with the jake on.... Figure replace actuator to make sure I don't have that problem out on the road. Luckily, the only time it has done this is when I am at home getting ready to head out....

most people completely ignore that expensive actuator and turbo until it goes out on them. Grease dries up, motor burns out because of it, etc.

There is a way to service them and keep them alive for many years and miles ...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Matthirsch111
(01-08-2024 )Rawze Wrote:  
(01-07-2024 )Matthirsch111 Wrote:  

most people completely ignore that expensive actuator and turbo until it goes out on them. Grease dries up, motor burns out because of it, etc.

There is a way to service them and keep them alive for many years and miles ...

Thank you very much
replyreply
Well unfortunately, looks like my turbo and actuator are dead.... I went to the shop and the lever in the turbo is very bound up and you can feel it really doesn't want to open up.... so I will be replacing the actuator and turbo to the tune of some serious money..... thank you all for the info, I will be trying to service whatever I can in the future and save my turbo and actuator... I have to get back on the road soon to start making more money......
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.