Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Whinning sound front cover
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Whinning sound under front cover. I started truck to leave out sounded fine. On my way to pickup trailer I heard a whinning start. It sounds like it coming from the front cover. Oil pressure is normal. Sprayed wd on idler pullies. Sound increases with rpm
is it a medium tone gear-train noise at idle that goes up in pitch with RPM??

That is usually a sign of a failing oil pump. Pressure is not always an indicator of this.
Yes. Sounds like a gear drive like people used to run in hot rod Chevy motors. So much for stealership rebuilds.
Can hear it whin from about 15-20 ft away
How long are the pumps good for? Mine was replaced 14 months ago during a overhaul
Could just be a faulty pump, it happens. I know some of the Cummins parts carry a two year warranty, maybe that pump is one of them, if it is your pump.
You could have lost some hard facing on one of the gears at the front or a worn shaft inside the oil pump.
Found a chunk of gear tooth under the oil pump laying in the pan. (I have a rear sump pan) not sure where it came from don't see any broken teeth down low. Also some fine shavings in the pan. Now wondering if I put it back together if warranty will cover it. Figured I could fix it faster if it was just the pump but looks more in-depth than that
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's