Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: trans removal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just curious, I see guys talking about dropping their transmissions themselves all the time. My question is, how in the hell are you guys doing it?!? Lol It's not exactly light, so if I should be keeping an eye out for a special tool or something, let me know!
For starters you'd want a transmission floor jack to lift it, plus they have multiple adjustments on the head to get the angle right when re-installing.
Saw one taken out at company shop, recent model Pete. They removed the after treatment module so they could get the tranny to clear.
I saw some guys did with trans jack , plus they opened doors put pole and chains to support from the top.
Best to use a transmission jack, get the angles on the support plate set correctly, and mark those positions so that you can get it back in at that same angle. You need a decent shop floor to do this too.

Worse case scenario, I have heard stories of guys using big tire inter-tubes and thick layers of plywood to pull them in a pinch, but that sounds kinda dangerous. One slip and you under there with it and you could end up DEAD!.

Myself, If I had to pull mine by myself in my own front yard, I would jack up the cab of the truck, disconnect and support it, roll the truck out from under the cab first. Then it would be easy access and I can use my yard crane on it.
I have my own tranny jack, I wouldn't recommend removing one any other way. Like has been stated, they are very heavy and if you ever lost control of it under the truck it could certainly kill you.
A tranny jack is the only way to go, the transmission weighs about 700 Lbs . the tranny jack can also to used to lift the clutch and flywheel with a little bolt on jig.
You are also going to have to jack the truck up, I drive mine up on blocks before starting the job
Reference URL's