Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: 10spd to 13spd(ATTN DRIVELINE GURUS)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My volvo needs a new clutch...previous owner had ecm bumped up to 500hp...truck has eaton/fuller 10spd....I would like to swap in a 13...found one local but it's only 1450 torque...I have 1650 with the 10spd now. Will the 1450 13spd hold up or am I asking for problems? Thanks in advance.

Rears are 3.58...11r 22.5 rubber. Pulling dry van 40~50k loads.
As i understand the difference in the 14913 and the 18913 is cooling which can easily be upgraded. Id call a tranny shop and ask em if theres any bearing, gear or case differences in the exact model u have and a rtlo18913 or u can use the eaton website and compare the part#s. Also make damn sure u send that drive shaft to a reputable driveline shop to have it shortened balanced and tested. I have a dead truck in the yard because my reputable guy wasnt real great after all.
I haven't seen my trans above 175 since disconnecting it from the radiator and putting on an air cooler from my Kenworth dealer used to always be 200+
(02-17-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't seen my trans above 175 since disconnecting it from the radiator and putting on an air cooler from my Kenworth dealer used to always be 200+
I dunno why they call em coolers. Them coolant to oil exchangers are more like tranny heaters. Worthless and a disaster waiting to happen. The more places oil and water meet the more chances of a problem imo. I personally wish the engine oil could be air cooled effectively.
(02-17-2020 )smorgan87 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-17-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't seen my trans above 175 since disconnecting it from the radiator and putting on an air cooler from my Kenworth dealer used to always be 200+
I dunno why they call em coolers. Them coolant to oil exchangers are more like tranny heaters. Worthless and a disaster waiting to happen. The more places oil and water meet the more chances of a problem imo. I personally wish the engine oil could be air cooled effectively.

the engine oil temps need to stay (200+ degree range) a bit above the coolant temps to keep moisture driven off.
The 1450 will do fine. You just need to be smooth with take offs. These guys are right about trans temp. That’s what will kill a transmission, well and snatching gears.
Well I decided to play it safe and upgraded further with a 1850 torque 18 speed...should have no problems...

Air cooled here on my 18spd, rarely if ever goes above 175*, running standard gear oil in her.
(03-09-2020 )Daytripper Wrote: [ -> ]Well I decided to play it safe and upgraded further with a 1850 torque 18 speed...should have no problems...

Good choice. That should handle over 2k ftlbs without any problems
Reference URL's