Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Run them or replace them?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(06-26-2020 )Waterloo Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-26-2020 )SquareOne Wrote: [ -> ]Has that type of wear pattern from the OP (Mrkentee) ever had a cause determined. I've heard of the 'river wear' diagnosis from one of the big name tire companies, and Rawze I've also heard you mention that is a common result of a higher mileage tire wearing on the steer. Do you think that type of aggressive wear on the inside shoulder could be due to a tire slightly out of round? Mrkentee has excellent wear on those steers for the mileage IMO, but would still like to know what the odd wear cause is.

- I have a hair over 100k now on my steers and the inside of one is starting to display that same pattern. One thing I do notice, when I jack up the front end to grease kingpins, I see that the wearing steer tire has a bit of a wobble when compared to the other side (not the rim, just the tire). Wish I could have caught it on the balance machine last year but I didn't. I don't feel it in the steering , yet... I'm wondering if that slight wobble is causing an odd scrub against the road? I'll most likely change them in the 160-175k range unless something happens otherwise as they still have good tread left currently. It's a Toyo M177, so not sure how they stack against others like the Michelin some of you guys run..... I originally had the Brigestones when the truck was purchase, but was a little unnerved about the blow outs on the newest models of those tires, so I decided against them.

Same wear pattern I had on my last set of Bridgestones, at roughly the same mileage. Switched to Michelin, problem solved. Truck front end was fine, it was the tires.

They were fine until a year or so ago. I was running from CT to CO across 80 back and forth, with the wind and everything. I got some minor outside edge wear. I flipped the tires and had alignment done by MD. Eventually it got worse, to where it is today. There a couple of places where the edge got screwed up in one area, too.
(06-25-2020 )Mrkentee Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-25-2020 )smorgan87 Wrote: [ -> ]Watch that wear mark on the shoulder VERY close. Blow a trailer or drive and ur set back a cpl hrs at the tire shop. Blow a steer and if ur lucky ur stuck on the side of the rd, if not so lucky ur truck takes a nap out in the woods.

Yeah, I’m convinced. Probably get them tomorrow. I have a good national account price through my fuel card.

I would definitely put tru balance centering sleeves on the steers and run centrmatic wheel balancers on them too. If the shocks are a year old or close to it replace them so that front end can settle down. I just replaced all my stock Paccar shocks with Monroe Magnums. Good luck.
Rawze, since you mentioned the second link, where do you (or anyone else) get your axle alignment shims from? Is it a kit or does your local dealer keep them in stock? When I ask the few people in this area they would refer me to their local alignment shop. Even the few dealers near me do not carry the shims.

I have seen a few full blown kits online, but I'd say for the price that would be overly excessive considering I'm doing one truck.
I would think any parts or frame shop would stock what you need or could order them. Pretty common parts for these trucks. Have you tried FleetPride or NAPA?
(06-27-2020 )SquareOne Wrote: [ -> ]Rawze, since you mentioned the second link, where do you (or anyone else) get your axle alignment shims from? Is it a kit or does your local dealer keep them in stock? When I ask the few people in this area they would refer me to their local alignment shop. Even the few dealers near me do not carry the shims.

I have seen a few full blown kits online, but I'd say for the price that would be overly excessive considering I'm doing one truck.

I used to buy them from alignment shops or other various places but the ones for the front end I had to make myself out of other things. I made a template out of thick-paper card-stock. I draw it onto a picece of flat stock stainless material of the right thickness then use a dremmel to cut it out.. Seems like no one carried the front axle shimms.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's