Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: squeaky belts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It seems whenever im home and my truck sits for awhile my belts will be whining when I run the truck again. Usually it goes away but I just took the truck for a 20 minute drive and its sure noisy. I did wash the engine a couple days ago and probably got the belts wet and maybe dust and grime got on them? Anything I can check to make sure its not something I should fix before leaving on a trip?
Most of the time, squealing belts are caused mainly by polished pulleys. Belt pulleys should NOT be shiny and polished looking. After removing the belt, rough the pulleys up with a wire brush, rough sand paper, etc. to remove buildup in the groves, and to remove any polishing. Some Acid to make them rust a bit can be used to rough them up too.

Pulleys are not supposed to be shiny.

I know of one guy who claimed he could not get his to stop squealing no matter what... New belts, new tensioner, he roughed up the pulleys with a wire brush,.. he eventually resorted to painting his pulleys with a bit of muriatic acid into all the grooves and letting it sit on them for an hour or so, washed it off with plain water, then wire brush again, -- After that, no more squeal.
(05-25-2023 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]Many times, squealing belts are also caused by polished pulleys much of the time. After removing the belt, rough the pulleys up with a wire brush to remove buildup in the groves and to remove any polishing. I know of one guy who claimed he could not get his to stop squealing no matter what... New belts, new tensioner, he roughed up the pulleys with a wire brush,.. he eventually resorted to painting his pulleys with a bit of muriatic acid into all the grooves and letting it sit on them for an hour or so, washed it off with plain water, then wire brush again, -- After that, no more squeal.
Thanks Rawze and you're right the pulleys are quite polished so I will try your suggestions
I’ve been using a slightly shorter belt for a while now. Helps a lot. The 858. [attachment=8926]
The pulleys on my truck are all shiny also. Will try roughing them up this morning. I did already try the dry bar of soap though and thought it helped a little bit so I’ll do that again after I rough up the pulleys a little bit. Thank you very much!
Reference URL's