squeaky belts
05-24-2023, (Subject: squeaky belts ) 
squeaky belts
It seems whenever im home and my truck sits for awhile my belts will be whining when I run the truck again. Usually it goes away but I just took the truck for a 20 minute drive and its sure noisy. I did wash the engine a couple days ago and probably got the belts wet and maybe dust and grime got on them? Anything I can check to make sure its not something I should fix before leaving on a trip?
replyreply
05-25-2023, (Subject: squeaky belts ) 
RE: squeaky belts
Most of the time, squealing belts are caused mainly by polished pulleys. Belt pulleys should NOT be shiny and polished looking. After removing the belt, rough the pulleys up with a wire brush, rough sand paper, etc. to remove buildup in the groves, and to remove any polishing. Some Acid to make them rust a bit can be used to rough them up too.

Pulleys are not supposed to be shiny.

I know of one guy who claimed he could not get his to stop squealing no matter what... New belts, new tensioner, he roughed up the pulleys with a wire brush,.. he eventually resorted to painting his pulleys with a bit of muriatic acid into all the grooves and letting it sit on them for an hour or so, washed it off with plain water, then wire brush again, -- After that, no more squeal.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Josiah Harder , marek4792 , Roysbigtoys , DVT873 , ktblogistics , Toolguy , JimT
05-25-2023, (Subject: squeaky belts ) 
(05-25-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  Many times, squealing belts are also caused by polished pulleys much of the time. After removing the belt, rough the pulleys up with a wire brush to remove buildup in the groves and to remove any polishing. I know of one guy who claimed he could not get his to stop squealing no matter what... New belts, new tensioner, he roughed up the pulleys with a wire brush,.. he eventually resorted to painting his pulleys with a bit of muriatic acid into all the grooves and letting it sit on them for an hour or so, washed it off with plain water, then wire brush again, -- After that, no more squeal.
Thanks Rawze and you're right the pulleys are quite polished so I will try your suggestions
replyreply
05-27-2023, (Subject: squeaky belts ) 
I’ve been using a slightly shorter belt for a while now. Helps a lot. The 858. ./uploads/202305/post_1778_1685177491_be30164b0dcc78d1e173b7ae5cfd8ff1.jpeg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , cdxman , Toolguy
07-28-2023, (Subject: squeaky belts ) 
The pulleys on my truck are all shiny also. Will try roughing them up this morning. I did already try the dry bar of soap though and thought it helped a little bit so I’ll do that again after I rough up the pulleys a little bit. Thank you very much!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.