My c15 rebuild
02-02-2017, (Subject: My c15 rebuild ) 
RE: My c15 rebuild
(02-02-2017 )Unilevers Wrote:  its getting closer! do i get to see it soon?

Hopefully just a few more days!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(02-02-2017 )RPM1 Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  Same way you would the combustion chamber in a gas cylinder head. Just now you do it to the piston
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yqAr4DUqEt4

i know how i do it , i was just curious how u did it . so basically your just matching the cc of each bowl . are u checking centerl ine distance of wrist pin to top of piston , or bowl configuration as all that will affect compression ratio ,also changing top of piston hight changes the squish area between the head , also even though the cc of the bowl is off one piston to the other as a quick check u need to keep in mind bowl depth and bowl diameter .
of course the only real way to know is to put the pistons on a cmm and have them checked
and go from there , and maybe u end up having to re machine the bowl and top to get everything equal in relation to wrist pin center line then u would have uniformity , just my 2 cents if was my engine and i wanted to be nats on

ps the top of piston to top of first compression ring will affect compression a tad

I check volume before and after. The actual cutting is done through a cad type program on a lathe type machine. I don't physically grind it out myself. The bowls from a low (16:1) compression engine are scanned, saved, then re applied to the new piston. An exact match then. Why wouldn't you want it nats on???
replyreply
(02-02-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 )RPM1 Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  Same way you would the combustion chamber in a gas cylinder head. Just now you do it to the piston
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yqAr4DUqEt4

i know how i do it , i was just curious how u did it . so basically your just matching the cc of each bowl . are u checking centerl ine distance of wrist pin to top of piston , or bowl configuration as all that will affect compression ratio ,also changing top of piston hight changes the squish area between the head , also even though the cc of the bowl is off one piston to the other as a quick check u need to keep in mind bowl depth and bowl diameter .
of course the only real way to know is to put the pistons on a cmm and have them checked
and go from there , and maybe u end up having to re machine the bowl and top to get everything equal in relation to wrist pin center line then u would have uniformity , just my 2 cents if was my engine and i wanted to be nats on

ps the top of piston to top of first compression ring will affect compression a tad

I check volume before and after. The actual cutting is done through a cad type program on a lathe type machine. I don't physically grind it out myself. The bowls from a low (16:1) compression engine are scanned, saved, then re applied to the new piston. An exact match then. Why wouldn't you want it nats on???

so what your saying is you are re machining the top of the piston and the bowl to the same spec as a 16.0 to 1 piston u scanned .my question is are u holding a dimension to the center line of the wrist pin bore ? and have u calculated , out your final compression raito . not knowing how much u changed the bowl profile , i was wondering if u changed injectors or just using same ones ? reason i ask is oems go to great lenghts to match injector spray patterns to get the best most efficient burn and bowl profile is all part of there r & d
replyreply
02-04-2017, (Subject: My c15 rebuild ) 
(01-31-2017 )RPM1 Wrote:  
(01-30-2017 )Brock Wrote:  Front structure is off, deck is getting cleaned off. Got all my parts in.... went with the federal mogul FP diesel cylinder kits, cat everything else including head and injectors.

Here's a pic of the new piston

Went with the FP diesel cause they are new rather than reman and have a ceramic coating which I really like.

Cylinders going in today!

there not ceramic coated , there phosphate and grafal coated , reduses friction , if memory serves me right mahal has been a oem pistion manufacture for cat cummins jd an others , that is there monanotherm one piece forged steel pistion , why they ever tryed a 2 piece pistion is beyond me .

My understanding is the entire piston is coated like you stated but mine were ordered with a optional ceramic coating which i believe is the off color part you see on the skirt.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
02-04-2017, (Subject: My c15 rebuild ) 
(02-04-2017 )Brock Wrote:  
(01-31-2017 )RPM1 Wrote:  
(01-30-2017 )Brock Wrote:  Front structure is off, deck is getting cleaned off. Got all my parts in.... went with the federal mogul FP diesel cylinder kits, cat everything else including head and injectors.

Here's a pic of the new piston

Went with the FP diesel cause they are new rather than reman and have a ceramic coating which I really like.

Cylinders going in today!

there not ceramic coated , there phosphate and grafal coated , reduses friction , if memory serves me right mahal has been a oem pistion manufacture for cat cummins jd an others , that is there monanotherm one piece forged steel pistion , why they ever tryed a 2 piece pistion is beyond me .

My understanding is the entire piston is coated like you stated but mine were ordered with a optional ceramic coating which i believe is the off color part you see on the skirt.

in racing they use ceramic as a thermal barrier and only coat the top the piston , i would thing that what u have , top only , ceramic when it brakes down is gritty glass like , u deffinetely would not want that on u cylinder walls going down and getting into your oil ,
be like ceramic plunder only over a longer period , i would bet its just the top or just the bowl that's ceramic coated , swain tech has been doing that for a long time , i haven't kept
up on it , i just know it was more for racing and extreme applications , not general use
replyreply
02-05-2017, (Subject: My c15 rebuild ) 

Coming together nicely. Removing all the mandated junk off her, boy is there a lot of extra useless crap!

Mechanic wants to remove the intake pre cooler, says it's useless. Not sure how I feel about that one yet.

replyreply
02-06-2017, (Subject: My c15 rebuild ) 
(02-05-2017 )Brock Wrote:  Coming together nicely. Removing all the mandated junk off her, boy is there a lot of extra useless crap!

Mechanic wants to remove the intake pre cooler, says it's useless. Not sure how I feel about that one yet.

it is, get rid of it. make sure you leave the cgi baro and differential they use that for the oil pressure reference output.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
SDP monster LOL.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock

Got the injectors and crap on today, swapped out the oil cooler for the old style one. Thinking I'll remove the crankcase filter assembly as well seeing as I have a Pitt power catch on there, let er breathe a little better!

FrankenCat

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Texasdude74

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.