Oil pump shim
05-23-2017, (Subject: Oil pump shim ) 
RE: Oil pump shim
My friend had that issue of dropping pressure at 15k miles. It was his egr valve not closing which was allowing a lot of soot to enter the oil. His filter would start to plug around then.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard
05-24-2017, (Subject: Oil pump shim ) 
(05-23-2017 )redbeard Wrote:  I'm still not convinced that the new super duper up graded oil bypass valve is doing it's job.

When I replaced the bypass valve on my 2250 with the new "super cure all bypass valve" the o-rings were very loose in the bore. I called and talked to numerous techs and they all told me that that was they way they fit.

Seems to me that if the oil slides past the valve, how can it regulate it?

I'm running a bypass filter, and doing oil changes at 14,000 miles with the mandated motor.

Oil pressure has been an issue since the day I got it and fluctuates greatly between fresh and at changing.

43psi with 8 dimes in pump and fresh oil, and starts creeping down to 35 at oil change running down the road at 1400rpm.

New filter and oil pops right back.

Changed rod bearings at time of pump mod just because wanted cheap peace of mind, 225,000 miles on engine and they looked pretty good. Engine sounds good and tight

Oil pressure falling off between oil changes is usually the oil filter clogging. Find out what is putting so much soot in your engine. Bypass filter keeps it at bay pretty well, but you still have an issue there that could be hurting you in the long term. That soot monster is nothing to play round with.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: slowpoke
05-24-2017, (Subject: Oil pump shim ) 
(05-23-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  ....... It was his egr valve not closing which was allowing a lot of soot to enter the oil....

Just curious, wouldn't this set a check engine light? Like for EGR valve postion or something?

And how did he figure out it was the EGR valve?

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
05-25-2017, (Subject: Oil pump shim ) 
(05-24-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  
(05-23-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  ....... It was his egr valve not closing which was allowing a lot of soot to enter the oil....

Just curious, wouldn't this set a check engine light? Like for EGR valve postion or something?

And how did he figure out it was the EGR valve?

Not on a CM871. If valve is stuck open, the actuator operates just fine and the system has no idea. Crappy design.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
What is the purpose of the oil bypass valve?
Will it affect oil pressure?

Thanks
T700
replyreply
(05-25-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Not on a CM871. If valve is stuck open, the actuator operates just fine and the system has no idea. Crappy design.

That is a crappy design. But makes sense. Cummins has so many other sensors that if you look at them, they set a check engine light. Why monitor what the EGR valve is doing?

(05-25-2017 )t700 Wrote:  What is the purpose of the oil bypass valve?
Will it affect oil pressure?

I believe that the bypass valve allows oil to bypass the filter if the filter becomes clogged or if it is super cold out and the oil is thick.

I think that if the valve was malfunctioning or if the filter was clogging, you would have oil pressure fluctuations, not necessarily too low or too high.

I could be completely wrong though. Maybe someone who knows for sure could chime in.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
05-26-2017, (Subject: Oil pump shim ) 
(05-25-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  I believe that the bypass valve allows oil to bypass the filter if the filter becomes clogged or if it is super cold out and the oil is thick.

I think that if the valve was malfunctioning or if the filter was clogging, you would have oil pressure fluctuations, not necessarily too low or too high.

I could be completely wrong though. Maybe someone who knows for sure could chime in.

I show it in this video ...

oil bypass valve update

replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard , t700
Thank you for the video Rawze.

Still not sure how the the "new style" bypass valve protects the inferior ceramic fuel pump.

Unless of course there are a lot of plugged filters on thees soot eaters.
replyreply
Not sure about the fuel pump but the old style had a high probability of getting stuck in the open position if a piece of foreign matter got into it causing up to 100% of the oil to bypass the filter.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.