What kind of Clutches are there?
09-08-2018, (Subject: What kind of Clutches are there? ) 
RE: What kind of Clutches are there?
(09-08-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  It even sounds like you have broken spring pieces floating in the clutch disc's. Maybe even a broken intermediate plate. You'll see when you get it apart.

yeah i found a broken spring piece in the back of the air something? im not sure what that part of the transmission is called but i am suspecting that is the case. I bought the truck with the transmission in that condition. I am working towards on saving enough money for the worst case scenario which is 8k in costs?.... ouch...

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
09-20-2018, (Subject: What kind of Clutches are there? ) 
Okay so last night, i got stuck at a Pilot when i went in to get a soda and cookie.

Came back into the truck, started it up. Stepped on the clutch and grinding in all the gears, could get it into any gear. So after waiting a hour, i got one of the tech's at the shop to take a look at it for me, he said my clutch has been worn down completely. He also said my slave cylinder is leaking air out of the fitting....

So i went to Volvo to get a quote on a pair of clutchs, never looked at the paper until now.

Ive got a Solo Clutch in the truck, part # SP 30970120 - Volvo is looking for $1,153.20

while i was there, i asked the girl over the counter if i could get a quote on a higher torque clutch.

Part # RC CLU20892582H its rated at 2050 torque and that one is going for $549.00.

I dont get why the one with the lower torque rating is twice as expensive....

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
09-20-2018, (Subject: What kind of Clutches are there? ) 
(09-20-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  So i went to Volvo to get a quote on a pair of clutchs, never looked at the paper until now.

Ive got a Solo Clutch in the truck, part # SP 30970120 - Volvo is looking for $1,153.20

while i was there, i asked the girl over the counter if i could get a quote on a higher torque clutch.

Part # RC CLU20892582H its rated at 2050 torque and that one is going for $549.00.

I've never heard of Road Choice until now... I assume Eaton vs RC would explain the price difference? I have to say, that's the cheapest off brand 2050 I've seen.
replyreply
09-21-2018, (Subject: What kind of Clutches are there? ) 
(09-20-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  Okay so last night, i got stuck at a Pilot when i went in to get a soda and cookie.

Came back into the truck, started it up. Stepped on the clutch and grinding in all the gears, could get it into any gear. So after waiting a hour, i got one of the tech's at the shop to take a look at it for me, he said my clutch has been worn down completely. He also said my slave cylinder is leaking air out of the fitting....

So i went to Volvo to get a quote on a pair of clutchs, never looked at the paper until now.

When the springs in the clutch finally gave way on my truck at 1.02 million miles, I just shut off engine while dropping it into gear and drove it a few more days till I got it home to dealt with it. Point being that you are not at the mercy of the nearest place you are close to.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM , Hammerhead
(09-21-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  When the springs in the clutch finally gave way on my truck at 1.02 million miles, I just shut off engine while dropping it into gear and drove it a few more days till I got it home to dealt with it. Point being that you are not at the mercy of the nearest place you are close to.

I’ve done the same thing. It’s an annoyance to anybody behind ya when your starting in low/low but saves a tow bill.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
I'm going to see today why that cheap clutch is so cheap today.

n rawze

yeah dude lol i got lucky i was able to switch gears that night with the truck after engaging it into gear lol.

replyreply
(09-21-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  I'm going to see today why that cheap clutch is so cheap today.

n rawze

yeah dude lol i got lucky i was able to switch gears that night with the truck after engaging it into gear lol.

so from what my buddy tells me, That RC clutch is a rebuild. I didnt want that even if it saved me some change but not time. Not sure of the quality but im not taking risks.

replyreply
(09-21-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  
(09-21-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  I'm going to see today why that cheap clutch is so cheap today.

n rawze

so from what my buddy tells me, That RC clutch is a rebuild. I didnt want that even if it saved me some change but not time. Not sure of the quality but im not taking risks.

Good move. A questionable quality clutch is ok if you have the means to change it out yourself if it does not pan out, but for most people, the risk is not worth the hassle to endure a second replacement prematurely.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-22-2018, (Subject: What kind of Clutches are there? ) 
(09-21-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  Good move. A questionable quality clutch is ok if you have the means to change it out yourself if it does not pan out, but for most people, the risk is not worth the hassle to endure a second replacement prematurely.

I don't disagree with you very often Rawze, but as someone who has a shop, more than adequate tools, tranny jack, adequate experience doing several clutch jobs, etc., even if the clutch is free, the input shaft, and all other ancillary parts are free, clutch replacement jobs SUCK!!!
If you make a living with your truck, NEVER shortcut a clutch job.
Even cabovers where you can access both the TOP & the bottom of the tranny/bell housing and do them easily, they still suck.
The clutch I removed when I did my flywheel housing job is in good shape. themissinglink & I are thinking of putting it in his old farm truck, that he uses maybe half a dozen times a year, and has a broken clutch...notice I said thinking, not have done.

IMHO, a questionable clutch is only ok as an experiment to prove that you feel a hidden desire to punish yourself...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , stevesparts

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.