Looking to buy used truck
01-09-2019, (Subject: Looking to buy used truck ) 
RE: Looking to buy used truck
Here is a good video to watch... Well, not really good, more like the ugly truth.

Used Truck Buyer Beware by Rawze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTu6cr1d1Lc
replyreply
Volvo's transmissions are unrivaled in the industry. If you are getting a volvo find your self a good parts guy. My friend works at TRP, he has helped me out a bunch and saved me a ton of money.

I think the cm871 was used up until 2013? maybe?. lol someone correct me if im wrong.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
(01-09-2019 )revlimited Wrote:  ARB caught me in thousand oaks scale. Got a $1000 fine. Its a crap shot, most of the time ARB isn't in the scales but when they are be careful!

Does the 2350 have the "new" piston rings in them?
Also does the 2350 have more sensors?
I read somewhere the 2350 has the ammonia sensors.
This is only my thoughts ......the cm2250 went from 2010 to 2013 it was Cummins first years? the cm2350 came out in 2013 and maybe they knew a little more? not saying it helped them! the biggest trouble with the newer engines is the aftertreatment so learn it well.
I have heard they are going to start impounding the noncompliant trucks with significant fines to get them outta jail and a contractor buddy got the $10,000 dollar fine this summer.
replyreply
(01-09-2019 )imalumberjack Wrote:  
(01-09-2019 )revlimited Wrote:  ARB caught me in thousand oaks scale. Got a $1000 fine. Its a crap shot, most of the time ARB isn't in the scales but when they are be careful!

Does the 2350 have the "new" piston rings in them?
Also does the 2350 have more sensors?
I read somewhere the 2350 has the ammonia sensors.
This is only my thoughts ......the cm2250 went from 2010 to 2013 it was Cummins first years? the cm2350 came out in 2013 and maybe they knew a little more? not saying it helped them! the biggest trouble with the newer engines is the aftertreatment so learn it well.
I have heard they are going to start impounding the noncompliant trucks with significant fines to get them outta jail and a contractor buddy got the $10,000 dollar fine this summer.

I have also heard of CARB plugging into the data port to check for tampering of the system. I would not think this is legal and would not let them plug into my truck without a warrant but its likely coming to our f**ked up state.
replyreply
Do you recommend buying a 2012 volvo with cummins 2250 for 42k with 500k miles and throwing a new high pressure pump on it, or buying a 2014 volvo with cummins 2350 for 50k with 500k miles and driving it as is?
replyreply
(01-09-2019 )revlimited Wrote:  Do you recommend buying a 2012 volvo with cummins 2250 for 42k with 500k miles and throwing a new high pressure pump on it, or buying a 2014 volvo with cummins 2350 for 50k with 500k miles and driving it as is?

If you pickup/deliver to any ports in California you might check the regulations. I have heard about them increasing the engine year to get into the ports to 2013 engine year. You might inquire before you buy anything. The 2013 engine year will get you to at least 2024 with the CARB rules as of now. Who knows what the idiots will do next especially with our new Governor.
replyreply
01-10-2019, (Subject: Looking to buy used truck ) 
(01-09-2019 )revlimited Wrote:  Do you recommend buying a 2012 volvo with cummins 2250 for 42k with 500k miles and throwing a new high pressure pump on it, or buying a 2014 volvo with cummins 2350 for 50k with 500k miles and driving it as is?
always check info but I think 2010 and newer your good til they change the laws again, as far as recommending a specific truck from a ten word sentence? like flipping a coin. As far as the fuel pump you just update them (steel plungers tappets and barrels) and I believe Rawze has recommended to check the cm2350 as some may have ended up in them and its not worth the loss.
replyreply

Any of these trucks with 500k is about at its end of life span on engine. I own a Volvo. It’s a nice truck to drive. Just be ready to spend a bunch of money after you buy any of these trucks in this mileage area. I bought one with a reman in it and thought I was ahead of the game. China head put on at a dealer when rebuilt. Now I have a inframe one my hands. I got 150 thousand out of the head. My advice is buy a truck with a bad motor start off with your own rebuild make sure the liner height is right. Put new dpf filter and you should be off on the right foot. Buying a running truck will put you a good 30,000 to much money into it right off the start.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
My truck had 505k. Bought more keys to be made $52. Oil change and fuel filter cost around $400. New bed mattress $150. Fuel to go to orientation cost idk 50 gallons so add that in it. Got a week on me and clutch blew out. Paid about $4600 for that out the door with sleeping in a motel.
Tires were rotten cost 3500 for the drives, then another 900 for steer which I did later. List goes and goes. Also the high pressure fuel pump cost over $4000. List goes on and on.
I would have them have a spare key, check your rubber bc I have had a blow out b4 by being cheap and only buying one or two tires instead of doing the whole set. Get a new bed. Get it ready, dont just buy it and take off. Rawze.com is your friend.

User's Signature: Also known as Shotgun
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.