Need some guidance
06-25-2020, (Subject: Need some guidance ) 
RE: Need some guidance
One thing I learned on the 08 ProStar, only use OEM Navistar dealership expansion valves. The thermistors, I have only had to replace once. The front HVAC blower motor had a TSB for overheating. Navistar added a harness with a resistor that goes between the blower motor and the main harness. Also, try to limit the dye in the R134a, as it can really impede the cooling. Also, you must be exact on how much refrigerant goes into the system, get that wrong and bad things happen, this system is very fidgety. Then the high pressure switch, the wiring in the harness is prone to breaking near the sensor. And that HP Switch, at least on my truck, seems to fail periodically for no reason. Good thing, the system does not need to be purged to replace the sensor. Just a few things I have learned over the years. And trust me, I have thousands of dollars in this system, it has been a very punishing experience to get this HVAC system working as it does today.
replyreply
(06-24-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  It is very rare anything goes wrong on the ProStar sleeper side of the HVAC. The only thing I have had to replace over the years I have owned my 08 ProStar is the blower motor.

Up front under the hood I installed one of these 12volt valves on the inlet hose to the heater core, I have a deadman’s switch on the dash, HEAT up, COLD down, OFF in the middle. {link invalid}

I also installed three of these yacht fans, they move some serious air and our extremely quiet. https://amzn.to/382kC37
Two in the sleeper just below the top ac vents and one up front hanging from the overhead. I have the fans on these remote switches so I can turn them off or on while driving. https://amzn.to/3806GGT

The AC in my ProStar will literally freeze you out. I have been in the middle of TN in July at 3pm on a blistering summer day and had to turn the heat on, it gets that cold, and is not at all comfortable.

For all of my AC parts, I like these guys out of Atlanta. They normally ship the same day your order is placed and they do sell many OEM parts at huge discounts. I have used them for a few years without issues... http://www.truckersac.com
Mine started acting a fool with the blower motor. It would stop blowing then it would surge sometimes. On off on, high low high. Replaced the motor and didn't make any difference. So I wired it up on a separate switch and it worked. I wasn't crazy about it but it worked. Then it started blowing hot air all the time. That's when I said, I've got 15000 BTUs on the roof so I started using it. I'm sure some day I will pull a few more hairs out and get back there and try to fix it.
replyreply
so the like $50 blend door actuator probably fried and got stuck on heat.....easy fix go under bunk pull actuator off take flat head screw driver flip to other direction and wallah AC.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(06-25-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  so the like $50 blend door actuator probably fried and got stuck on heat.....easy fix go under bunk pull actuator off take flat head screw driver flip to other direction and wallah AC.
Pretty sure it's the evaporater in the floor of the sleeper. If that little bolt breaks that's just not going to be fun.
replyreply
I don't think there's any electric valves that shut off the freon to the monks of the AC is running Freon should be running through the EVAP unless the orifice or whatever Tube is plugged so if you're getting heat with the AC on most likely the blend door is swung the wrong way. if you have a normal international I'm not quite sure if you have one that has the no idle AC.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(06-25-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  I don't think there's any electric valves that shut off the freon to the monks of the AC is running Freon should be running through the EVAP unless the orifice or whatever Tube is plugged so if you're getting heat with the AC on most likely the blend door is swung the wrong way. if you have a normal international I'm not quite sure if you have one that has the no idle AC.
I was half asleep last night, I meant the expansion valve in the floor. The line going in and out is hot. There is one bolt in the center and I hear they like to break. I replaced everything up front, pump, dryer, expansion valve, and the two thermistors. Right after that the bunk stopped, it probably got clogged up.
replyreply
07-12-2020, (Subject: Need some guidance ) 
(06-23-2020 )Ricky Wrote:  So I have a 08 Prostar with a ISX and Ultrashift. I replaced the factory 1200 watt inverter with a Xantrex Freedom SW 3012 3000 watt inverter. I got it for 230.00 from a guy that upgraded his RV. It works great and has the control panel also. I did the upgrade because I use the inverter to run my roof mount AC. It's a Coleman rough neck 15000 btu and I installed a easy start. I only use it while driving and on high it pulls 1500 watts. When parked I have a generator that I use to run it. I do mostly short haul and I usually have my two French Mastiffs with me. That's why I like the roof mount, I have problems with the bunk AC. I used the setup last year with my 1200 watt inverter and just did the upgrade. It has been really muggy this year and the 1200 watt was kicking off. It used to only pull about 1150 watts but that was on low. But my issue is the new inverter is pulling the battery voltage (by the control panel) down to 10.9 at 1500 watts. Batteries are 1 1/2 old 950/1100 and are a good battery. Alternator is a 215 amp and is about the same age as the Batteries. So to keep from messing something up in the long run, what should I do. Bigger Alternator, deep cell batteries, both??? I talked with a place here about building a bigger Alternator from the old one I took off before. They said that they would have to look at it before they can tell how much they can bump it up (the numbers are not on it). What are the pros and cons doing that or buying bigger. My front AC works pretty good but the rear is a pain in the rear.

So, have been working like crazy but made some time today to get some things done. I got 4/0 wire from Fleetpride, guy cut me a great deal on 25 foot. They could only get the Delco 1600 and some change before taxes. Plus they had to special order it and wasn't sure how long. Didn't make sense but that's what he said. Had the local Truckpro order a Leese-neville 325 for 1100 and some change before taxes. Should have had it Saturday but it didn't get shipped so they said I would have it by Tuesday. I like what Waterloo said and upgrading the ground also. So yesterday I got 20 foot of 2/0 and 50 foot of loom. I started early morning and I am a bit picky so it took a while. But a friend stopped by when I was finishing up and said I should have been a mechanic.... not. I loomed hot and ground separate from alternator to batteries. Didn't loom from batteries to inverter. I slide a heavy piece of heater hose over each one where it goes through the floor. So everything looks good, all zip tide and covered. Also cleaned up a bunch of hots and grounds. I ran it a while like normal and it got down to 11.9. So it was really hot so I cranked it up to high and high fan. It did get down to 10.9 but it was pulling 1700 watts. So once I put the alternator and new belts on it should be great. I also put a longer wire on the controller and moved it up front. All in all I'm very pleased, but it was a lot of work doing it right. That and I guess my age is starting to catch up with me, lol.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
07-13-2020, (Subject: Need some guidance ) 
It's fun running that cable... I am just glad I tore all of that skirting off the truck a few years ago, made things much easier.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
12-09-2020, (Subject: Need some guidance ) 
So everything has been working great with all the updates and the big inverter. But my batteries are getting old and I have been running back and forth across I70 in the cold for a bit. I had to jump the old girl off this morning in Hancock MD. I have to double check Saturday but I'm sure it's a bad battery. But most likely over the weekend I'm replacing all four batteries. With having the inverter can I do two deep cell batteries and two regular batteries. Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated. Amps, CCA, brands, cost.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.