EGTs and Gauge
10-26-2021, (Subject: EGTs and Gauge ) 
RE: EGTs and Gauge
(10-25-2021 )NDISX15 Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  EGT's themselves is 1350f max for 3 mins. However your not measuring this if you did not install the probe into the exhaust stream itself.

Outer housing temp on the other hand is roughly 950f sustained on a long pull. Having Good air flow under the hood helps with this a lot too.

As far as shutting it down.. anything below about 350f on the outer housing and your fine.

EGT probe was installed into the manifold today, which now i have to change my train of thought on the gauge readings while driving pulling.....so if i understand this correctly......inside the manifold probe placement,max temp is 1350F sustained no longer than 3 min, correct?

Just dont wanna blow something up before can start dialing in the tuning here. Looking to try and do a custom tune to make this truck perform nicely for what it does 7 days a week.

If the programming was done right, then there should will be nothing to "dial in", except to only ensure that it is not capable of over-boosting vs. the model engine you have.

- It being a CM2250, this would be no more than 36-psi of boost, no matter how hard you push the thing up a long hill.

You should also ensure ...

* It does not have any boost leaks.
* It does not have any boost exhaust manifold leaks.
* The exhaust system is as free-flowing as possible.. (all cans including SCR unit have been 100% fully hollowed out).

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: NDISX15 , Outlaw8850
If you were to give it 100 more horsepower than it had stock, would you then be at risk of harmfully high egt's ?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(10-26-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 )NDISX15 Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  EGT's themselves is 1350f max for 3 mins. However your not measuring this if you did not install the probe into the exhaust stream itself.

Outer housing temp on the other hand is roughly 950f sustained on a long pull. Having Good air flow under the hood helps with this a lot too.

As far as shutting it down.. anything below about 350f on the outer housing and your fine.

EGT probe was installed into the manifold today, which now i have to change my train of thought on the gauge readings while driving pulling.....so if i understand this correctly......inside the manifold probe placement,max temp is 1350F sustained no longer than 3 min, correct?

Just dont wanna blow something up before can start dialing in the tuning here. Looking to try and do a custom tune to make this truck perform nicely for what it does 7 days a week.

If the programming was done right, then there should will be nothing to "dial in", except to only ensure that it is not capable of over-boosting vs. the model engine you have.

- It being a CM2250, this would be no more than 36-psi of boost, no matter how hard you push the thing up a long hill.

You should also ensure ...

* It does not have any boost leaks.
* It does not have any boost exhaust manifold leaks.
* The exhaust system is as free-flowing as possible.. (all cans including SCR unit have been 100% fully hollowed out).

Its a CM2250 450/1650 thats straight piped 4" from turbo to the stack, running at 540/1850. Peak Hp at 1600 peak Tq at 1300. Over boosting I havent seen, max I've seen on the dash is whiat i would say is roughly 36ish. Before my file was fixed it would randomly over boost momentarily since the upper limit was not set and the was made with a rather old africa overlay. That was fixed here and updated to Africa J and power set to above numbers. Most times im usually seeing 32-34 avg

CaC system has no found leaks and is air tight. No manifold leaks either.

I do enjoy 540hp but feel the EGT's might be a bit too easy to get too high. I may want to dial it back to 525. Most ive seen in manifold is 1200ishF, but haven't been under a load yet since moving the probe. Thats bobtail cruise on on the interstate with a hell of a headwind.
replyreply
(10-26-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  If you were to give it 100 more horsepower than it had stock, would you then be at risk of harmfully high egt's ?

If not done right, driven right (like a truck vs thinking you're a rocket/first to the top of the hill floorboard 24/7 left lane knot head) and supporting changes made correctly you most definitely can be. Realistically, anytime you add more power, the hotter the EGT's will be to an extent.
replyreply
(10-26-2021 )NDISX15 Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  If you were to give it 100 more horsepower than it had stock, would you then be at risk of harmfully high egt's ?

If not done right, driven right (like a truck vs thinking you're a rocket/first to the top of the hill floorboard 24/7 left lane knot head) and supporting changes made correctly you most definitely can be. Realistically, anytime you add more power, the hotter the EGT's will be to an extent.

Rawze said it shouldn't matter how hard you push it up a hill the egt shouldn't get to high. I'm just trying to understand if he meant your particular set up or any demandate that's done correctly.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(10-26-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 )NDISX15 Wrote:  

Rawze said it shouldn't matter how hard you push it up a hill the egt shouldn't get to high. I'm just trying to understand if he meant your particular set up or any demandate that's done correctly.

I'm reading it as a demandate/tune done correctly. Not so much to my particular setup.
replyreply
10-27-2021, (Subject: EGTs and Gauge ) 
I’m maybe way off base but I’ve set my max EGTs in my mind and won’t let my truck obtain or exceed is 1100 on my EGT in my Exhaust Post turbo not manifold but realistically I don’t even get near 900 I baby it like my Roof depends on it bc it does I’ll get up those hills ( whenever I get it up it’s a win first or last who cares) I’m in it for as long as possible not fast & hard but I’m not sure where you put your EGT but hopefully it’s not in the manifold bc that’s obviously so very risky to your turbo but I know guys get up there on the EGTs and seems normal I’m just not seeing it on the Current Probe I have.
replyreply
10-28-2021, (Subject: EGTs and Gauge ) 
(10-27-2021 )GhostHauling Wrote:  I’m maybe way off base but I’ve set my max EGTs in my mind and won’t let my truck obtain or exceed is 1100 on my EGT in my Exhaust Post turbo not manifold but realistically I don’t even get near 900 I baby it like my Roof depends on it bc it does I’ll get up those hills ( whenever I get it up it’s a win first or last who cares) I’m in it for as long as possible not fast & hard but I’m not sure where you put your EGT but hopefully it’s not in the manifold bc that’s obviously so very risky to your turbo but I know guys get up there on the EGTs and seems normal I’m just not seeing it on the Current Probe I have.

Its in the manifold now....highest EGT I've seen since the probe was put into the manifold has been 1220F. I generally try to keep it 1100F and under the best I can, and use my engine fan on hills to cool the turbo if I feel like my EGT has been above 900-1000 too long for my liking. I run the same long pulls and weights almost daily and having the probe on the inlet tube for a couple weeks before it was put in the manifold was kinda helpful knowledge in knowing when my turbo is getting too warm for my tastes.
replyreply
10-28-2021, (Subject: EGTs and Gauge ) 
If the probe is pre-turbo the EGTs will be higher than Post turbo how much exactly varies but I would Be very mindful of your EGT probe if it’s in the manifold pre turbo and that probe breaks off your turbo is Done ! And those aren’t getting cheeper anytime soon but mainly those high temps take a toll on Those EGT probes and inspecting it very often is probably a good idea.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.