High EGT......HELP!!!!
11-27-2016, (Subject: High EGT......HELP!!!! ) 
RE: High EGT......HELP!!!!
(11-27-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  Are you sure it's not just doing a regen? It's normal for the high exhaust tell tale to light up during regen. That would explain no codes.
Did the stealership give you a copy of aftertreatment history? Probably not.

Do you have a Pyro on it? A good pyro with sending unit will give you a true picture.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/productim...e_Main.jpg

Thanks for the reply....I'm sure it is not doing a regen.....it normally comes on after loading or unloading cars (it's a rollback) and I will drive to a safe spot and shut the truck off and restart and proceed or I will drive with the light on if I can not find a safe spot. Where does the Pyro connect and how does it connect ? I'm beginning to believe it is a false code and I Pyro would tell me for sure if it is high egt.....thank you
replyreply
The high exhaust gas temp warning comes from the DPF when it's over a set temperature unless it's calculated from the ECM tripping the warning. Usually over 800.

How can you tell it's not doing an active regen without Insite? It will tell you everything you need to know. I also run a 2015 FL with an ISC and can't tell most of the time.
That would be your best tool so you're not relying on the dealership. Stop letting them guess at your expense!

Probe for the Pyro can be installed in stream or clamped to the exhaust manifold. Most of us have it clamped on the exhaust manifold since it gives a better reading of heat soak. There's a few threads with pictures showing the installation. Also a video by Rawze.
https://youtu.be/lUeYsQY0ykM

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
Sounds like overtemp of the exhaust system or intake system the pyro will help with high egt what i don't get is no codes.
replyreply
(11-27-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  The high exhaust gas temp warning comes from the DPF when it's over a set temperature unless it's calculated from the ECM tripping the warning. Usually over 800.

How can you tell it's not doing an active regen without Insite? It will tell you everything you need to know. I also run a 2015 FL with an ISC and can't tell most of the time.
That would be your best tool so you're not relying on the dealership. Stop letting them guess at your expense!

Probe for the Pyro can be installed in stream or clamped to the exhaust manifold. Most of us have it clamped on the exhaust manifold since it gives a better reading of heat soak. There's a few threads with pictures showing the installation. Also a video by Rawze.
https://youtu.be/lUeYsQY0ykM

Thanks for the reply.....My reasoning for saying it is not doing a regen is because it does it every time I load or unload a vehicle which is on average 7-10 minutes of high idling(10-12,000 rpm)....I can stop along side the road long enough to take a pee and pull off and the light will come on.
replyreply
So how is the power running down the road? If you don't have a boost gauge on it,do it asap.
Part of your problem may be it never gets enough time on the road to regen properly.
As soon as you park and presumably set the idle up for PTO it might be triggering a parked regen, idle should jump to 1100 rpm.

The stop engine warning is what would bother me. If you always shut it down the system will look for the next opportunity.
You really need to get on Insite and see if you can duplicate the problem, see if it will complete a forced regen. (40 minutes)
Watch the DOC inlet temp,DPF in and out temp, turbo position, EG pressure, doser fuel psi open and closed.
Get a printout of your aftertreatment history and fault codes before you spend any more on it.

Pressure test of CAC and intake is the other part of the equation.
Most times is the combination of problems that make it hard to pinpoint.
At this point you've spent way too much on it for it to not be working prefectly.

replyreply
(11-27-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  So how is the power running down the road? If you don't have a boost gauge on it,do it asap.
Part of your problem may be it never gets enough time on the road to regen properly.
As soon as you park and presumably set the idle up for PTO it might be triggering a parked regen, idle should jump to 1100 rpm.

The stop engine warning is what would bother me. If you always shut it down the system will look for the next opportunity.
You really need to get on Insite and see if you can duplicate the problem, see if it will complete a forced regen. (40 minutes)
Watch the DOC inlet temp,DPF in and out temp, turbo position, EG pressure, doser fuel psi open and closed.
Get a printout of your aftertreatment history and fault codes before you spend any more on it.

Pressure test of CAC and intake is the other part of the equation.
Most times is the combination of problems that make it hard to pinpoint.
At this point you've spent way too much on it for it to not be working prefectly.

Thank you for your reply, the truck gets plenty of road time beings I use it for transporting cars. Its generally runs an 1 1/2 - 2 hours interstate (70 mph) before loading or unloading cars. The engine shut down light is not coming on now that the temperatures have dropped. It use to be the red light, now it's the amber light since the weather is cooler. What is this Insight you are referring to ? How do you get on it, is it a program, do I hook it to my truck like the OBD II scanner ? Will the dealership give me a printout of the aftertreatment history and there are no fault codes, just saying high egt temperatures. Thank you
replyreply
Insite is the Cummins program. You need a cheap lap top running Win XP or Win7.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inline-5-Insite-...30&vxp=mtr

Insite 5 data link, cables, program. DIY

After everything the dealer has done, you should get a history no charge.
The fact that they haven't fixed it after spending that much is criminal.
That is the reason most of us have taken matters into our own hands.
I've only been there once, after a $5500 estimate for a new DOC I was gone!

replyreply
(11-27-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  Insite is the Cummins program. You need a cheap lap top running Win XP or Win7.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inline-5-Insite-...30&vxp=mtr

Insite 5 data link, cables, program. DIY

After everything the dealer has done, you should get a history no charge.
The fact that they haven't fixed it after spending that much is criminal.
That is the reason most of us have taken matters into our own hands.
I've only been there once, after a $5500 estimate for a new DOC I was gone!

Thank you for the reply, I will look into getting these cables and the pricing of the insight....right now I'm doing everything myself and it is a trial and error process that is why I have posted to this sight looking for answers, after all you have mentioned I can not for the life of me figure out why they have not tested any of this.....turbo boost, CAC pressure, fuel pressure, anything ??.....I just pulled the egr off this weekend and cleaned it, pulled the DOC and DPF off last weekend and cleaned, did the EGR cooler the week before, that whole system has been cleaned, from the EGR to the DPF, all the sensors under the hood have been replaced. thank you
replyreply
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...hest+light

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.