Rawze's Daily blog...
05-13-2016, (Subject: Rawze's Daily blog... ) 
RE: Rawze's Daily blog...
(04-17-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  Ok, so i have taken the weekend off while waiting for counterbore shims. I am counter-boring my block myself because I found the exhaust side of cylinder number 6 to be 0.002" low. It is no big deal,.. but it is just enough that I do not think it will last another million without some help. I will also be raising the height of all the liners to 0.014" from the factory 0.010" that it was. This should make it stout, and/or allow me to put some serious horsepower in it if I choose in the future if I ever want to.

Who said a gallon of gear lube in your engine is bad?-.. I think this is clear proof! --- all these parts still look new!. I have always used regular Rotella-T oil with one gallon of Sta-lube 80/90 gear at every oil change.

Here are my rod bearings after 955,000 miles...

And the cams after 955,000 miles... Hard to see in picture, but there is actually ZERO WEAR THAT CAN BE MEASURED with a set of calipers. Only just beginning to polish on some lobe surfaces.

Rollers and some crossheads...

Here is the worst of all the wear I could find... If someone asked me to look at this,.. I would swear it was only about 400k miles on that bearing.

-- the IRONY in all this,..--- Is that These parts HAVE NOT BEEN CLEANED YET! -- AT ALL!... But simply removed form the engine and placed onto the table. there are no deposits anywhere,.. and there was only a tiny piece of dried loc-tite in the bottom of the oil pan. There was not even any glitter in it. It was absolutely clean. -- Even the magnets are clean!.

These are the pics I have been waiting for to finally clear up the GL-5 yellow metal non-compatibility (rumors/talk-yatta yatta).It would be difficult to get this motor any cleaner,talking LAB-COAT clean.Thanks again.Love modern petro/engineering.
replyreply
What caused you to do a inframe? Did you have a failure or was it just getting tires and you wanted to stay ahead of it?
replyreply
I believe Rawze was suffering from what many of us have been through with the CM871, a head gasket failure. I spoke with him on the phone last year when I discovered mine had a leak, after clearing up all of my EGR/DPF issues which were masking it. He was going to ride his out as far as he could before doing the in-frame or repair. I did the same, I just got mine back the other day.
replyreply
ahhhhh. I just did the same thing on my volvo d12 and my c15. What started as a head gasket turned into a inframe because I figured I may as well while they are open. I've got just shy of a million on my isx and I'm praying the engine gods give me a bit of a break from rebuilding engines for a little bit. Let the bank account recooperate.
replyreply
he had a cup leak, his gasket was fine.

ask him about his evans coolant....i dare you......
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 386lover
I was kind of curious when I read his comment earlier that said he was filling with red coolant. I thought he was running Evans?
replyreply
I never even read his waterless writeup in the technical section because o assumed he was pro waterless. ..that'll teach me to assume!
replyreply
(05-13-2016 )Brock Wrote:  What caused you to do a inframe? Did you have a failure or was it just getting tires and you wanted to stay ahead of it?

IT WAS NOT THE HEAD GASKET. -- It was a leaky injector cup in the head, and some of the valves, you could see oil seeping from them in the intake, indicating the guides were starting to wear down. -- really, all it needed was a head, but at 1 million on it,.. I decided to do the whole thing as a preventative step.

If i could go back in time and do it again,.. I would have replaced the head at 700k miles as a scheduled maintenance item,.. The rest would likely have lasted 1.5 mil or more easily,.. when the next head was due again.

When this head gets 700k on it,.. I am going to replace it and continue on. It seems that 90% of all problems with ISX CM871's internal to the engine is in fact the head. It simply wears out at 700 - 800k no matter what you do. After that, it is simply a matter of time before it fails.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
(05-13-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(05-13-2016 )Brock Wrote:  What caused you to do a inframe? Did you have a failure or was it just getting tires and you wanted to stay ahead of it?

IT WAS NOT THE HEAD GASKET. -- It was a leaky injector cup in the head, and some of the valves, you could see oil seeping from them in the intake, indicating the guides were starting to wear down. -- really, all it needed was a head, but at 1 million on it,.. I decided to do the whole thing as a preventative step.

If i could go back in time and do it again,.. I would have replaced the head at 700k miles as a scheduled maintenance item,.. The rest would likely have lasted 1.5 mil or more easily,.. when the next head was due again.

When this head gets 700k on it,.. I am going to replace it and continue on. It seems that 90% of all problems with ISX CM871's internal to the engine is in fact the head. It simply wears out at 700 - 800k no matter what you do. After that, it is simply a matter of time before it fails.
I totally agree with you on this, I had a cam bearing failure on the injector side. Also, valve guide were starting to leak as well.
The lower part of the engine looked great even though it had 959,000 on it. Mandate was removed less than 200,000 miles.
Anyways, it's a done deal now. I'm back up and running strong.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.