Fixing your DPF Problems in a nutshell...
11-12-2018, (Subject: Fixing your DPF Problems in a nutshell... ) 
RE: Fixing your DPF Problems in a nutshell...
(11-08-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  it may be best to get with Mopmmaburt or Unilevers to have the problem solved permanently, it being a trash truck that will suffer non-stop those types of problems. -- Even the local County and city vehicle trash trucks have all resorted to de-mandating them in those types of operations. - Don;t just let anyone do it,.. have it done by the guys recommended on here so that you never have to question it.

even so, It does NOT solve engine related issues that cause those problems to begin with. You need to ensure the engine is tested thoroughly, sensors and systems are cleaned out, the CAC and other things checked, and if the turbo is bad, it still needs replacing.
Who are the recommended guys to do this? And how do I get a hold of MommaBurt or Unilevers? I PM'd them but got no response.
replyreply
May take a few days for mamaburt or Unilever to get back to you... Well worth the wait. Or, if you are near Atlanta go see Mr Hagg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: EOW
(11-12-2018 )EOW Wrote:  
(11-08-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  it may be best to get with Mopmmaburt or Unilevers to have the problem solved permanently, it being a trash truck that will suffer non-stop those types of problems. -- Even the local County and city vehicle trash trucks have all resorted to de-mandating them in those types of operations. - Don;t just let anyone do it,.. have it done by the guys recommended on here so that you never have to question it.

even so, It does NOT solve engine related issues that cause those problems to begin with. You need to ensure the engine is tested thoroughly, sensors and systems are cleaned out, the CAC and other things checked, and if the turbo is bad, it still needs replacing.
Who are the recommended guys to do this? And how do I get a hold of MommaBurt or Unilevers? I PM'd them but got no response.

Mr. Hag down in atlanta is a good choice too if you can get it over to him.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
11-24-2018, (Subject: Fixing your DPF Problems in a nutshell... ) 
Rawze,

I've have performed your EGR tune-up for a second time, and yup - it has kept me out of the mechanic shop. I have replaced an inlet temp sensor, exhaust temp sensor (EGR), baked the DPF.

I have a DD15 and wanted to know your thoughts on removing and cleaning the throttle body? It looks real easy to access and remove once you take the cross over pipe off the top and disconnect the harness, brackets, etc... Is it worth it, or am I over reaching?

I am only concerned of disturbing the soot where the intake cooler pipe and the engine meet.

thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy , Punchy
11-25-2018, (Subject: Fixing your DPF Problems in a nutshell... ) 
(11-24-2018 )martinef1963 Wrote:  Rawze,

I've have performed your EGR tune-up for a second time, and yup - it has kept me out of the mechanic shop. I have replaced an inlet temp sensor, exhaust temp sensor (EGR), baked the DPF.

I have a DD15 and wanted to know your thoughts on removing and cleaning the throttle body? It looks real easy to access and remove once you take the cross over pipe off the top and disconnect the harness, brackets, etc... Is it worth it, or am I over reaching?

I am only concerned of disturbing the soot where the intake cooler pipe and the engine meet.

thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

I have no idea. Never messed with a detroit. Maybe someone else who is more familiar with tem can answer that one?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
10-26-2019, (Subject: Fixing your DPF Problems in a nutshell... ) 
DEF System question!
I have a 2016 Cummins ISX that we just replaced the EGR cooler on and cleaned the whole system. Even after all this when we go to start it we get a strong resistance almost like maybe a vaper lock or too much compression. After letting it sit for awhile it will eventually start, sometimes it takes longer than others and sometimes fires right up. Also on the firewall side of the cooler below the downspout on the cooler (by the inspection)we are getting a little white smoke after it starts for a few minutes and then it is gone. Have you ran into anything like this, we are baffled.
replyreply
10-26-2019, (Subject: Fixing your DPF Problems in a nutshell... ) 
How many miles on the truck? Make and Model? Do you know about the fuel pumps? Any codes?

What prompted this adventure leading you to replace the EGR Cooler? Dealership visit, if so what did you take the truck in for?

Were you told WHY the EGR Cooler needed to be replaced? Those things are darn near bulletproof, very rare for one to fail, especially one as new as yours. Again, sounds like you were at a dealership... If you were, they are changing their game, usually they trick you into replacing your turbo first, then nail you for the EGR Cooler...

Have you removed the exhaust at the turbo, start the truck and see what happens, sounds like a restriction somewhere, or carbon packed.

When was the last time the DPF and DOC cans were serviced?

Has the SCR system been serviced, new filter? If so, when?

How is the coolant and oil levels, water in the block, oil in coolant, hydro locked?

Have you tried to bar the motor?

How about the overhead, the valves? Was anyone in there?

I'm thinking carbon packed, pull the exhaust at the turbo and fire her up and see if you notice a difference.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
10-27-2019, (Subject: Fixing your DPF Problems in a nutshell... ) 
(10-26-2019 )Candiceecooley Wrote:  DEF System question!
I have a 2016 Cummins ISX that we just replaced the EGR cooler on and cleaned the whole system. Even after all this when we go to start it we get a strong resistance almost like maybe a vaper lock or too much compression. After letting it sit for awhile it will eventually start, sometimes it takes longer than others and sometimes fires right up. Also on the firewall side of the cooler below the downspout on the cooler (by the inspection)we are getting a little white smoke after it starts for a few minutes and then it is gone. Have you ran into anything like this, we are baffled.

Sounds almost like too many people blind guessing and not enough proper procedures being done...

Has anyone done a leak-down test to see if it will not drop more than 4,000 psi in one minute?---
https://youtu.be/eH9GRkeozTM

Like opthers said, anyone turn engine over by hand and checked for unusual resistance while it was in this condition?

Did anyone bother to pull the exhaust manifold while the egr cooler was being replaced and checked for oil seepage around the exhaust valves?

- Did they remove the DOC and DPF and bake, de-ash, and flow test them after the EGR cooler failure to remove coolant buildup and check them to see if the precious metals were washed out?

How old is the starter? - ISX starter is notorious for acting like engine is hard-starting when it begins to get weak.

Anyone pressurized the coolant system to a full 20 psi and let it sit over night>? -- It giving hard starts, Perhaps With the oil pan off it to see if coolant is seeping into one of the cylinders??

I could go on and on, and I don't even own one of those engines. It isn't rocket science... its called following proper established procedures and performing proper tests.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Candiceecooley , Toolguy
10-27-2019, (Subject: Fixing your DPF Problems in a nutshell... ) 
How many miles on the truck? Make and Model? Do you know about the fuel pumps? Any codes?
500,00, Pete 389, 1 fuel pump, no codes after replacing the cooler

What prompted this adventure leading you to replace the EGR Cooler? Dealership visit, if so what did you take the truck in for?
Got a code for EGR/Coolant issues pulled the EGR valve and cleaned it it was working properly, continued going through the system to clean everything and pulled the cooler had it tested it was bad. It was not at a dealership we have a shop

Have you removed the exhaust at the turbo, start the truck and see what happens, sounds like a restriction somewhere, or carbon packed.
Yes we did all this

When was the last time the DPF and DOC cans were serviced?
80,000 miles ago

Has the SCR system been serviced, new filter? If so, when?
At 300,000
How is the coolant and oil levels, water in the block, oil in coolant, hydro locked?
We think it is hydro-locked but can figure out where, the coolant drains from the reservoir when we shut it off, then comes back when its started but we can not find where its settling, theres nothing in the head anywhere and we have head the oil lab tested and it good. If we crack the coolant cap where we shut it off it does not do it.

Have you tried to bar the motor?
Motor is great

How about the overhead, the valves? Was anyone in there?
Checked them all

Right below the cooler it will smoke when it first starts and it's coolant burning but when we pull everything apart under there, there is no coolant. After about 3 minutes it stops and is fine. It does not smoke when we leave the cap off. It also is not leaking on the ground. Is there somewhere else the coolant can be pooling. This is our first go round with this system none of our other trucks have ever had an issue.[/color]
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.