Is this oil residue anything to worry about?
10-26-2016, (Subject: Is this oil residue anything to worry about? ) 
RE: Is this oil residue anything to worry about?
(10-13-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  First of all, your boots look old and in need of replacing.

That is likely turbo slobber as it is called....

It happens if you ...

* idle a lot.

* have a re-man turbo (sometimes they just slobber a bit, especially at idle).

* Have a failing turbo (the inside of the intake will be full of oil too).

* have a custom tune and there is a vacuum on the intake. This is easily corrected and tested for.

* Have a custom tune and your turbo is simply old, and/or a re-man and you idle a good bit.

* Have excess crank case pressure. If it gets bad enough, it can blow out the face seal of the turbo.

* Have not changed the crank case filter often enough, and now it has damaged the face seal.

=== take your pick, you were not very specific in your engine history. Also, you have a Volvo truck. The turbo will run 100 degrees hotter on average in a Volvo than any other brand of truck. The intake and piping is more restrictive and there is not good air flow around the outside of the engine to keep it cooled off. They are terrible for that and that also makes the engine less fuel efficient by about 0.6 MPG. than other trucks in their class. this dictates the turbo will have a shorter lifespan than other brands of truck,.. say 400k miles instead of 600k miles as an example.

It is not a problem unless it is enough to make the intake wet too. If you do not idle your truck much, take off a CAC boot on the intake side and see if it is wet too. If it is, then you will want to consider replacing the turbo soon if it is old. Also make sure your crank case filter is drilled out, or that you have a fairly new one in it. Most of the guys on the forum just drill them out instead of replacing them.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...376#pid376

I changed my oil today and replaced the boots on that pipe. I checked my air filter and it was in pretty dirty so I replaced it too. I also took off the pipe coming out of the CAC so I could get to the crankcase filter which I did already have a hole drilled in it like has been shown on here. The pipe from my CAC to the engine intake did have oil in it. It had more than I wanted to see. So I took off the intake to my turbo and did not look oily inside of it. I checked for movement in the turbo and I could move it side to side just a little, but not enough to make think it was going bad. That turbo was replaced at 483,916 miles and the truck has 745000 on it now, so I would hope it would last me quite a while since I only put around 20,000 miles a year on the truck.

This time of year I do idle the truck a lot. It may sit in the field waiting for a load for 10-20 minutes then it's a 5-10 mile drive to an elevator or bin site and another 10-20 minutes of idling to get dumped. I try to shut it off when I know I will be sitting for a while, but I can't always predict my wait times.

On your list of things that could cause the turbo slobber one was a tune that could be causing a vacuum on the intake. How do I test for this? My vgt actuator is at 8% when I'm idling. I did record it on a recent loaded trip and the highest it got was 58%. I'm just trying to go down that list and find out what is causing the oil in the intake, and this is the one item I'm not sure how to check for. I realize the idle time is not helping matters, but it would be good to check off the other possibilities you listed.
replyreply
I usually run the turbo around 18% for preload at idle sometimes a bit less but we run in northern U.S where it's cold so it helps keep engine warm. The thing produces very little heat.
I ran it at 5%with new engine and turbo and I had a little oil slop that's why I turned it up too.
replyreply
Sure enough, after I post something I find the answer through the search button. There is a past thread that talks about this.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=608

I'll try raising the turbo at idle and see if it helps.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.