Did my new turbo take a dump?
07-18-2016, (Subject: Did my new turbo take a dump? ) 
RE: Did my new turbo take a dump?
(07-18-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-17-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(07-17-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  Looks to me like your orange boots are very old too. Perhaps new ones are in order? -- especially if they have been oil soaked.

I just replaced them a few months ago, along with the venturi side... Just prior to the in frame.

Good deal. Maybe it is just the oil that is saturating them? -- They just looked old and weakened in those pics to me.

Just make sure you get all the oil out of them and clean them up well. Also make sure they still have some stiffness to them when putting them back on. If they are too pliable, they could fail when you need them the most.

Thanks Rawze, they are a bit soft, not to the point of collapse, but I will keep an eye on them for sure.
replyreply
On the topic of air boots, I've noticed in the past that my Freightliner dealer carries some very heavy duty clamps, in comparison to the factory ones that came on my 07 Petes. Also found some black boots that are much thicker and stiffer than the usual orange or blue ones.

What is the consensus on the best CAC boots/clamps? Does it really matter much on an engine like this compared to an Acert making 60+ psi boost?
replyreply
(07-18-2016 )Camstyn Wrote:  On the topic of air boots, I've noticed in the past that my Freightliner dealer carries some very heavy duty clamps, in comparison to the factory ones that came on my 07 Petes. Also found some black boots that are much thicker and stiffer than the usual orange or blue ones.

What is the consensus on the best CAC boots/clamps? Does it really matter much on an engine like this compared to an Acert making 60+ psi boost?

I've never tried any boots other than the orange & blue ones, so I can't speak to that.
As far as the clamps go;
1)would more heavy duty clamps last longer, or be more durable?
2)would less chance of a failure be in your best interest?

If the answer to either of those is Yes, you pretty much answered your own question...says the guy who threw all those cheap crappy OEM clamps away after 90 days and has used nothing but good quality, much more heavy duty ones since...on all of his hoses, including rad hoses!

./uploads/201607/post_2077_1468888577_493ad818467c3bed04d1ebf4ba9df022.jpeg
Now THATS what I call a rad hose clamp! My CAC clamps are the same type.
Brand is Accutek

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
That is what the ones I was talking about look like, huge spring! I guess I was curious more than anything why anyone would buy the lighter duty stuff for a replacement. The last few trucks I've owned I have put the HD hoses and clamps on but they were twin turbo Cat's.
replyreply
07-19-2016, (Subject: Did my new turbo take a dump? ) 
Funny you guys mentioned this... I talked to the dealer yesterday, and they stated they wanted to test the CAC for leaks... Being a CM871 Cummins ISX owner and member here, of course I have a CAC test kit. I ran the test, she held 30 psi with ease for quite a bit, put her back together and the clamp at the CAC broke. $32 for a new T clamp from the stealer... Unreal.
replyreply
08-19-2016, (Subject: Did my new turbo take a dump? ) 
So what ended up being your final verdict on this waterloo? I just noticed quite a bit of oil from the orange boot off the turbo on mine. new turbo, @m*m^2 done myself a week or 2 ago.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.