Fan clutch stuck? The tool I used to fix.
05-30-2019, (Subject: Fan clutch stuck? The tool I used to fix. ) 
RE: Fan clutch stuck? The tool I used to fix.
(05-30-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Mr. Loo there may be a psi reducer before the solenoid or the solenoid itself may reduce the pressure to only 90 psi. They don't need more than that to operate and International is known to put reducers in line for a lot of things.

Mr. Hagg is spot on to what I do. Some times you don't even need to take the plates all the way off. Just loosen them enough to get the clutch disc to move and spin the fan by hand to break up any rust. Then tighten the plates back down.

I'm thinking you are correct on the International side with the solenoid. By all rights it should have broken loose with the air the truck compressor built up. Either they are reducing it or it will not activate the solenoid unless the cab controller shows the motor running. As far as the plate on the clutch, it was much easier to remove the two nuts and worm gear clamp on the air filter than it would have been for me to get at the fan clutch with a wrench. Very little room up there with the front structure intact.

And the push pull connect removal pliers made this job a breeze.
replyreply
05-30-2019, (Subject: Fan clutch stuck? The tool I used to fix. ) 
I suppose you can keep your rig in the truck and just connect it to your seat blow gun and have it out on the road with you too. I've stretched mine out the window a few times to diagnose fan clutch and air controlled turbo actuator problems.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze
05-31-2019, (Subject: Fan clutch stuck? The tool I used to fix. ) 
Wish you guys posted this earlier! For the second truck I’m slowly doing up, I’ve gone and purchased a new clutch assembly.
Did previously try the airline to the compressor and even wd40 but never tried the hammer! Will do this tomorrow! If she doesn’t budge I’ll loosen those bolts on the rear.
The good old hammer trick!
Thanks guys
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
06-02-2019, (Subject: Fan clutch stuck? The tool I used to fix. ) 
Sometimes a two wire solenoid will short to the case. These are usually bolted to something metal. The short will cause problems if the solenoid is ground controlled thru the one of the two wires. A while back had a run of bad ones new, right out of the box bought from OE in this case Navistar. To get going ended up strap tying them to the wiring harness bundle. Then they worked fine.
replyreply
(06-02-2019 )DVT873 Wrote:  Sometimes a two wire solenoid will short to the case. These are usually bolted to something metal. The short will cause problems if the solenoid is ground controlled thru the one of the two wires. A while back had a run of bad ones new, right out of the box bought from OE in this case Navistar. To get going ended up strap tying them to the wiring harness bundle. Then they worked fine.

the solenoid is supposed to be isolated from ground. It is held in an adel clamp that is insulated with rubber bushing.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(05-30-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(05-29-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  I know more than a few of you know how to do this. This is my first time, and thankfully it worked. Just being long winded for the guys like myself that have read about using air to release a stuck fan clutch, have no clue on how, but want to know how

crank truck, let air build up to 120- psi or so.

turn off truck, then turn key back on so that fan clutch has 120psi air pressure on it.

smack the side of the clutch with a hammer.

-- Although your method of applying air externally works, that same amount of air pressure (or roughly about 120-psi or so) is also applied if you simply turn on the key in the dash after the engine has stopped and the air is built up all the way.

That adapter is however handy for releasing parking brakes when you want to remove drums and work on brakes/hubs without having to build up the air. I use this compressor,..

https://amzn.to/2HKif9M

it is one of the more handy things that I have purchased for my truck and an adapter like you made for such things.

It is like one of those little car tire compressors, but on steroids and very well built.

IF you have a CAT they will not disengage the fan clutch until 30 seconds after they sense RPM. So, unless you have CAT ET to send a command to disengage the fan with the engine off you will have to use Waterloo's method.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
(06-02-2019 )389driver Wrote:  IF you have a CAT they will not disengage the fan clutch until 30 seconds after they sense RPM. So, unless you have CAT ET to send a command to disengage the fan with the engine off you will have to use Waterloo's method.

That is how it was acting, as if there was no signal telling it to disengage. I had more than enough pressure built in the system, well over 120 psi according to my gauges. As soon as the direct connect with my shop compressor reached over 90 psi, the clutch popped. All is good now, working as it should.

And that new remote ball valve I installed at the heater core has already paid for itself. I was running early this morning and ran right into a tropical monsoon here in Ohio, LOL. I needed heat to clear the glass, thank God I installed that valve. Right in the construction... It was not pretty.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Nostalgic
06-03-2019, (Subject: Fan clutch stuck? The tool I used to fix. ) 
I end up getting mine unstuck but found the fan had abit of play, might have to change it after all. Don’t want that thing flying off and puncturing the radiator.
replyreply
06-03-2019, (Subject: Fan clutch stuck? The tool I used to fix. ) 
(06-03-2019 )multitask Wrote:  I end up getting mine unstuck but found the fan had abit of play, might have to change it after all. Don’t want that thing flying off and puncturing the radiator.

Most {borg werner} fan clutches have a little bit of side-play in them when they are in free-spin mode. Only question needing answered is if it is more than normal.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: multitask

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.