Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: My Pete rebuild
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-27-2023 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]ALSO, and just as important is to ensure the manifold holes are reemed properly. This is one of the biggest reason (besides someone improperly torquing the bolts) that they break bolts to begin with. Here is a reference to this: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid66592
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid39699

Always a good idea to double check the holes - which I'll do, but no broken bolts. From a visual, it looks like the rear of the manifold on mine "moves" more than the front, but it could also be because the rear part is the part that warped outwards. I noticed you mention on one of the linked threads that you put a little anti-seize on the gaskets. I thought I did as well on my first engine, but when I put this engine together I read in quickserve that Cummins specifically states not to, so I installed them clean and dry. Not sure what their logic is there - isn't the coating on new gaskets more or less a graphite base type of anti-seize? I know I've reused the manifold to turbo gasket in the past and just coated with graphite based anti-seize with no issue.

I'm hoping to leave the sections together when I do this since my slip joints aren't leaking, but have new slip gaskets on hand just in case things don't go as planned and I have to fully disassemble.
I use a dusting of anti-sieze on them... more on the shanks, tiny bit on the threads ... Never had one break or cause a gasket failure. I also put a very thin dusting of anti-sieze on the gaskets themselves too.
My 870 did that metal screetching whenever it would hit 8000+ feet (Wyoming) then pretty much the next 400 miles after. It drove me up a wall. Mechanic who rebuilt it used a copper spray on the gaskets and/or the surfaces and it actually stopped doing it after that.. but they had forgotten the rings in the manifold so off it went again and like clock work so the noise returned..
(05-27-2023 )marek4792 Wrote: [ -> ]My 870 did that metal screetching whenever it would hit 8000+ feet (Wyoming) then pretty much the next 400 miles after. It drove me up a wall. Mechanic who rebuilt it used a copper spray on the gaskets and/or the surfaces and it actually stopped doing it after that.. but they had forgotten the rings in the manifold so off it went again and like clock work so the noise returned..

I actually considered using copper spray on the head side, and anti-seize on the manifold side to control which side of the gasket that allowed expansion movement. In reality, I think just making the manifold flat again will solve the issue.

When I put it together with new, the center section warped #4 & #5 away from the head. I thought maybe it was just a bad center chunk, so I bought another new center section and it did the same thing after a few heat cycles. I've been running it a year like that and can kind of control it since it only shrieks on 3rd stage jake, and at certain heat/elevation/exhaust flow rates, so I only use 2nd stage most of the time anyway or just ease off the throttle to silence it lol.

Some heavy oversize loads are on the horizon where I'll have to work it a little harder so figured now's the time to just cure it.
(01-09-2022 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]...

I watched some crazy videos of these guys in the sandbox repairing stuff. Tires with a hole in the side bigger than your open hand. I saw were they dig a hole and put a ISX head in there with hot coles then take it out and Weld it. I guess if you don't have the money for new things you can fix anything if you put your mind to it. Probably not a million mile engine but it gets them by.
you can tell by the failure, that is not the first time that crankshaft broke in that position.

ppl in those third world countries/areas get creative like that because there are no source for official parts.. and if there were,... no one would be able to afford them. - it will likely make it a another 50k miles or less and snap again.

.. That or it will end up on e-bay in the USA, as a used crank for a nice price .. and some sucker to buy it... thinking they are getting a good deal.
(05-27-2023 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]you can tell by the failure, that is not the first time that crankshaft broke in that position.

ppl in those third world countries/areas get creative like that because there are no source for official parts.. and if there were,... no one would be able to afford them. - it will likely make it a another 50k miles or less and snap again.

.. That or it will end up on e-bay in the USA, as a used crank for a nice price .. and some sucker to buy it... thinking they are getting a good deal.

I brought a guy over from Guyana, it’s a small 3rd world country in South America. The guy is an awesome mechanic, he’s very thorough, and does his best to do things the right way. But he has told me about some of the things that truck owners have to do to keep their trucks going because they just can’t afford to fix it the right way or the parts are unavailable. All the way down to the brakes on their trucks. He says most people take the brakes off of trucks…. Like removes the shi#t completely and they stop with engine brakes and downshifting. Like this guy can wire anything, can adjust valves like nobody’s business, and is hella good at electrical diagnostics but I literally had to teach him how to install brake shoes. It kinda makes you realize how much we take for granted over here.
Can you imagine DOT pulling you over and finding you have NO brake shoes on your truck?
(05-28-2023 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]Can you imagine DOT pulling you over and finding you have NO brake shoes on your truck?

No shoes, boosters, valves. I would like to see the fines on that.
Reference URL's